BusinessTransitionSimplified.com has been developed and is maintained by Ian R. Campbell with the assistance of recognized world “discipline specific” experts often called upon to contribute in successful family business transition planning executions. Our objective is to provide business owners and their advisors with superior family business transition planning and related business valuation content.
Importantly, we believe:
- First, that far too many professional advisors are inclined to provide family business owners with information and strategies they think their clients want to hear, rather than discuss with those clients the hard realities of long-term family business transition planning hurdles. Hurdles that for many business families will prove to be insurmountable obstacles.
- Second, that in our “new economic, financial markets and business normal” far too many professional advisors focus too much on the business family when discussing family business transition planning, and do not focus nearly enough on the family business and its long-term going concern viability.
We believe business owners and advisors involved in family business transition planning need to hear our messaging, and then determine whether they agree with it.
This where it is thought that a very high percentage of family businesses and other private companies will be sold, merged, or be subjected to family business transition planning in the next 5 – 15 years and beyond.
About Ian R. Campbell, FCPA, FCA, FCBV
President of Business Transition Counsel Inc., Ian R. Campbell is a graduate of Western University’s Ivey Business School and is a Fellow of both the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators. He is the author of several business valuation texts, most recently The Valuation of Business Interests (2001), and the principal author of the family business transition planning book 50 Hurdles: Business Transition Simplified (2014). He is a past director of several publicly and privately held corporations.
Ian first offered business valuation advisory services in Canada in 1969. From 1972 to 1976 he headed the business valuation practice of one of Canada’s largest public accounting firms. In 1976 he founded Toronto-based Campbell Valuation Partners Limited, one of Canada’s foremost independent business valuation consultancies. Ian currently offers family business transition planning and business valuation advice through Business Transition Counsel Inc.
The Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators recognizes Ian’s contribution to the Canadian business valuation profession through its annual funding of the Ian R. Campbell Research Initiative.
Since 1969, Ian has:
- Been instrumental in developing the practice of business valuation consulting in Canada through his participation in the founding of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, and through his writing and as a business valuation seminar leader
- Advised hundreds of Canadian business owners and their professional advisors with respect to business valuation, family business transition planning and business sales and acquisitions
- Testified successfully in business valuation matters before Canadian courts in appraisal/oppression remedy shareholder dispute matters, in income tax cases and in cases dealing with Canadian securities law
- Interacted with and rendered business valuation and transition advice to a large cross-section of family business owners who have successfully transitioned their businesses through two or more generations
Ian now writes and speaks on the topic of family business transition planning and business valuation.